Each year the #1 New Year’s resolution for Americans is to… lose weight. This results in a huge increase for health club memberships. Then a couple months later your new members start to become lethargic and not wanting to attend the club. That usually leads to new members wanting to cancel their memberships and health clubs losing out on a lot of revenue. Here are six quick tips to help keep new members engaged after New Year resolutions begin fade away.
6 Quick Tips to Turn New Members into Lasting Clients
- Planning for the Rush: This might be a little too late to say, but plan for the rush. We are not talking about preparing to sign new members. Focus on planning a great experience for new members during the first month of the New Year. Make it easy for them to schedule classes and access equipment in the busy gym.
- Long-Term Perks & Rewards: Offer discounts to members when they first sign-up. Also, think about adding perks or rewards that they can receive throughout the course of their membership. This helps increase value to their membership.
- Creating Anticipation: This can be hard to do, but create a sense of anticipation. Try introducing something new each month (Workout plans, boot camps, prepping for obstacle races, exc…). This helps keep things interesting.
- Developing a Community: CrossFit and Boot Camps are great at doing this. Whether it’s in the gym or outside of the gym, you can create a community of members to help new members connect with existing members.
- Providing Support: Joining a new gym can be hard or confusing for some members. Providing quality staff support can help the member know where to start and how to reach their goals.
- Implementing a New Gym Member Program: Create a plan to help new members engage. Consider providing a class schedule, workout routines, proper use of equipment tours or anything else you can think of having.
A lot of people from your community are already gung-ho about losing weight and getting healthier this New Year. Don’t disappoint them! Make it easier for your new members to connect through Club Systems’ Online Member Portal which allows your clients to easily manage their account, make payments, and enroll in classes or even purchase products and services.